Sunday, January 24, 2016

Learning Challenges

Learning and exploring the HEART blog made me understand there are other people out there that struggle. I was diagnosed with depression in September and have been struggling with it since then. I think watching the OU mental illness video ( I put it below) helped me be okay with sharing this and being open to people knowing. I have told some of my family and friends and I have had good and bad reactions to the news. I think the most important thing for me was understanding that there is nothing wrong with me because of this. It happens and most of the time is decided through your make up and not actually the situations. My therapist describes it like a glass that is filling with water (situations) some people, like me, have a smaller cup and that cup overfills a lot quicker and easier then others. I think learning about this stuff is important and really appreciate our professor making it a point to talk and teach about it. 





3 comments:

  1. Ace, thank you so much for sharing your experience here! And that metaphor of the cup is a really beautiful one; I will have to remember that. I know Cooper made that video hoping it could be useful, and that whole series of videos is all about making OU a place where people can talk about their situations and get encouragement and support from the people around them. I hope this part of the class can be a chance for you to explore this topic, and you will find all kinds of ways to connect it with the class itself; even just blogging and journaling is something that can be helpful, and there is something called "reading therapy" which seems to me like such a powerful idea. Anyway, you will see lots of links to explore, and I will be so grateful for ideas or suggestions you have about how I can build up this part of the class to make it useful to people. Here is the thing about bibliotherapy or reading therapy; I would be really curious to hear your thoughts about that, especially as you are looking at language arts for your vocation too! Can Reading Make You Happier? by Ceridwen Dovey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ace,
    I hope you are doing well with depression. I liked the way you described the cup situation. It is true that we all see different situation with our own perspective. We have to learn to be content. That is the only way to succeed in life; that is my point of view. I want to wish you all the best for this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to hear that you are being open and honest with your depression. Based on my experience with those around me having it, the more they share what they are going through, the less alone they felt. The more we as a society talk about it, the more common people will see that it is (and the less alone many will feel).
    I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete